Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Errors of Baking

I guess its that time I share with you one of my epic fails in this baking experience.  So you may remember my “being a bad friend because I don’t send things on friend’s birthdays” post.  For one friend it kinda worked out.  We only had one casualty.  For my other friend I had a few things to send and new ideas on how to send a cupcake in the mail.
Send it in a mason jar.  Why not?  I have seen it all over blogland and have heard such good things about the end result.  I went to Hobby Lobby (or was it Michaels?) and bought a small sized mason jar.  I was going to bake a cupcake in the jar, frost it, and sent it on its way to Atlanta.  I googled her work address because I wanted it to arrive on her birthday while she was at work.  Who doesn’t love surprises at work?  
I was excited about the recipe, confetti cake and vanilla frosting.  Topped with sprinkles of course.  I was excited to try this technique.  I made the cake and filled the mason jar with batter.  Let me first tell you that you don’t want to fill it over the halfway mark.  It will rise and start to look like it will take over your oven.  Oops.  You also want to bake it in a water bath.  I placed the jar in a small pot filled with water.  My conclusion is this keeps the glass from breaking?  I saw a few places that said it is a must to water bake and being the follower that I am, I did it. 
It took forever to bake.  I mean almost as long as a normal sized cake would.  That is what happens when you get greedy and try to fill the jar completely.  
I filled it a little more than this....and by a little I mean a lot.
 
 After almost an hour of waiting I took the jar out of the oven to find the center was still completely raw.  I did make 4 little cupcakes with the leftover batter and those cooked at normal time.  Then the batter deflated.  EPIC FAIL! 
The frosting came out but all I had was a cream cheese based frosting so I knew that would not ship without disappointing results.  

 I would be lying if I said I wasn’t sad this didn’t work out.  I was so bummed.  I hated that I had to tell my friend there was no awesome surprise coming.  BUT to be fair, I will be back home to Atlanta soon enough and I can rebake that confetti cupcake and it is going to be awesome.  
What baking disaster have you dealt with recently? 
I am so excited to share the next post with you!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment