Sunday, October 16, 2011

King Cake: The Mardi Gras Birthday Edition

This month my dad celebrated his 50th birthday.  Originally we were supposed to take a family trip to New Orleans to celebrate because that is his favorite place in the world.  Due to work reasons, he had to cancel.  I felt bad that he wasn’t able to celebrate in the one place he wanted to be.  You may not know this but I have a crazy obsession for planning parties.   I decided to plan a surprise party for him….New Orleans style. 
We had the Mardi Gras colors, foods, beverages, and desserts of course.  My contribution was king cake and bananas foster cupcakes.  


The king cake made me nervous because I didn’t want to screw it up.  Pressure for sure.  How about it was the most delicious thing I have ever had.  I mean melt in your mouth good.  It was really fun to make too.  But lets focus on how amazing it was.  I wanted to eat more than I did.  Then I ate some for breakfast.  
Things got a little messy
 

Sweet delicious creamy filling
 
 What is king cake?  I am surprised king cake is not as well known as I expected.  I am not from New Orleans and I have never celebrated Mardi Gras, but I have had it from our local grocery store.  You will find king cake around the Mardi Gras season (February).  What I didn’t know and what Wikipedia was so gracious to tell me was king cake season is from the end of the Twelve Days of Christmas until Mardi Gras day.  It is bread like dough with a sweet filling and within the dough is a small baby.  (Don’t worry….no plastic babies were harmed during the baking of the cake).  The catch is if you are given a piece with the baby, you have to bring the king cake to the next party or host the next party.  (My dad got the baby in his slice). The cake is topped with a sweet icing and colorful sugar.  

My king cake had a cream cheese filling and the filling was so creamy and smooth it complimented the thickness of the dough.  It was a true winner around these parts. 
If someone emailed me and said they wanted this king cake for their next party, Id do it because it was THAT GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment