Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Truth About Eggs

Apparently I haven't been using my eggs correctly in all of my years of baking.  Shame shame.

The past few days/weeks I have been reading a lot about baking and when using eggs in your recipe, they are supposed to be at room temperature.  I feel like I should have known that. 

What is the difference in final product between straight from the fridge eggs and room temp eggs?  I have never (knock on wood) had a disaster when taking my eggs straight from the fridge, but if you warm your eggs up, you have a better batter.  Your chances are higher that air will incorporate better than cold and your batter will rise.

Lesson learned.  I guess that just means I will have better batter from now on.

(Tip: short on time and cant warm your eggs? Take warm water and warm for about 15 mins).

Baking Lesson:  Never skip out on using eggs in your recipe if they call for it.  I did that once (because the recipe said to use something else) and the cake fell apart.  Eggs are your structure. 

Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. hmm, I had no idea either - I always take from the fridge, whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always see people like Ina Garten or other people on Food Network using room temp eggs! Usually when I bake I don't exactly plan it out hours ahead so I don't have time to pull out an egg and let it get to room temp... I wonder what difference it would make?! You should do an experiment! And post it on here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I always loved baking but a few months ago I became following passion4baking.com (you should google translate it, awesome and inspiring baking blog!!) and I found out the same thing.. Who knew?

    Also, I was wondering was is yellow cake? Is that just lemon cake?

    ReplyDelete